Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
2 medium acorn squash
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
¼ teaspoon pepper, plus more to taste
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons RawSpiceBar Tandoori Blend
1½ cups short-grain white rice
3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water
½ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup minced cilantro
1 lime, juiced
Plain Greek yogurt for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Trim the ends of the squash and slice in half widthwise. Scoop out the seeds and brush the insides with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 30 to 40 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. The squash is done when you can easily pierce the flesh with a fork.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by heating the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the tandoori spice and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, until the grains are shiny and translucent.
- Stir in the broth/water and ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 25 minutes, until the grains are tender. Turn off the heat and add the pumpkin seeds, cilantro and lime juice. Fluff the rice with a fork.
- When the squash is done cooking, flip cut side up and fill each squash with the rice filling. Serve with a dollop of yogurt on top.