2 tbsp olive oil, coconut oil, or ghee
1 onion, finely diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch fresh ginger, minced
Kosher salt, to taste
2 tbsp vadouvan
1 28 oz. can chopped tomatoes with juices
1 pound red lentils, washed and picked over
2 quarts water, vegetable, or chicken stock
2 large handfuls spinach, chopped
1 14 oz can (full-fat) coconut milk
Juice of 1/2 lime
Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, cook, stirring until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, ginger, salt, vadouvan, and stir until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the canned tomatoes and let brown, 4-5 minutes.
3. Stir in the lentils and water or stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes.
4. Add the spinach, coconut milk, and lime juice, and cook until the chard is wilted and the coconut milk heated through, about 4-5 minutes.
5. Top with chopped cilantro & s erve.