Photo and recipe credit to The Persian Mama
This is a vegetarian version of khoresh bademjan - a Persian eggplant stew made with freshly ground advieh spices, baked eggplants and yellow split peas, zipped up in a tangy pomegranate concentrate with the juice and zest of oranges and lemons.
Khoresh Bademjan (Persian Eggplant Stew)
We’ve sourced and freshly ground the spices to make our authentic Khoresh Bademjan. Simply follow our recipe, adding locally sourced, fresh ingredients, to cook this delicious Khoresh Bademjan in just 25 minutes.
How Our Recipes Kits Work
We provide spices:
Your shopping list:
- Chinese eggplants, sliced into strips
- cup yellow split peas, washed and drained
- Kosher salt, to taste
- yellow onions, sliced thin
- tbsp oil
- tbsp tomato paste
- tbsp RawSpiceBar's Advieh
- tbsp pomegranate concentrate
- orange, zest
- cup orange juice
- lemons, zest
- cup hot water
1. Salt sliced eggplant to sweat, 25-30 minutes.
2. Add split peas to a small saucepan and cover with water by one inch, adding pinch salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and cook until tender. Drain and set aside.
- 3. In a large skillet, add oil. Once hot, add onions and saute, 4-5 minutes. Add advieh, salt and saute, 3-4 minutes. Add tomato paste and split peas and saute, 3-4 minutes.
- 4. Add the pomegranate concentrate and saute, 2-3 minutes. Add orange juice, lemon juice, 1/2 cup hot water and zest and bring to a boil.
- 5. Add the baked eggplants and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook, 25–30 minutes, or until the eggplants are tender and very flavorful. Serve over rice or as is and enjoy!