A perfect, classic carrot cake with a Moroccan twist. Simple to prepare and totally delicious.
1 tbsp RawSpiceBar's Ras el Hanout
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/4 cups canola oil
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups peeled carrots, grate
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup raisins
8 ounces light cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans, to top
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and Ras el Hanout. In a separate bowl, whisk oil, sugars and vanilla. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until blended.
- Add dry ingredients in 3 parts, stirring gently until they disappear and the batter is smooth. Stir in the carrots, nuts and raisins.
- Divide batter between pans and bake in oven until cooked in center, about 40 minutes.
- For frosting, combine cream cheese until creamy, about 1 minute. Add powdered sugar, a 1/4 cup at a time until fluffy. Add whipping cream and combine. Frost cake, add nuts and serve!