Khoresh Gheymeh (Persian Split Pea Stew)
2 lbs meat (lamb or beef), washed and cut into small pieces
1 cup yellow split peas, picked over and washed
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2-3 tbsp tomato paste
4-5 dried limes (limoo amani). Soak them in water for 5 minutes and then pierce them in a few places with a dinner fork
1 tsp rosewater (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 large potatoes, peeled, sliced, and fried for topping
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a small pot over medium heat. Add the tomato paste and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until it starts to change color. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until they are translucent, then add RawSpiceBar’s Advieh Persian and stir well. After a minute or two, add the meat and brown on all sides. Add salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Add the yellow split peas to the pot and saute for 5 minutes, spoon in the tomato paste. Mix thoroughly.
- Add water to cover all the ingredients in the pot by 1-2 inches. Add in the dried limes. Lower the heat, cover, and cook for about 1-1/4 hours or until the meat is well-cooked. Add a little bit of water and adjust the seasoning when needed.
- Yellow split peas shouldn’t be too soft and mushy; they still need to have a bit of bite to them. You may parboil them separately until they are just tender and add them to the pot in the last 30 minutes.
- In the last ten minutes, add the rosewater, if you like.