Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
1 large eggplant, cut into ½-inch pieces
2-4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons RawSpiceBar Ras el Hanout Blend
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
¼ cup pitted green olives
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh parsley for serving, optional
- Place the eggplant in a colander and sprinkle generously with salt. Let sit for 15 to 30 minutes, then squeeze the eggplant with a clean kitchen towel to remove excess water.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the eggplant in batches to avoid crowding the pan. Sear for 2-3 minutes per side, until nicely browned. Add more oil as necessary if the skillet is dry. Transfer seared eggplant to a plate.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5-7 minutes, until softened and starting to caramelize. Add the garlic and Ras el Hanout Blend and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices and stir up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Return the eggplant to the skillet. Add the olives, chickpeas, and broth. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes, until the eggplant is very tender and the flavors have melded. Remove the lid and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with rice or couscous.