RawSpiceBar’s Indo-French Vadouvan
2 tablespoons olive oil, coconut oil, or ghee
1 large onion, small dice
4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
Sea salt to taste
1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes with juices
1 pound red lentils, washed and picked over
2 quarts water, vegetable, or chicken stock
freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cayenne to taste
2 large handfuls, Swiss chard leaves, chopped
1 (14-ounce) can (full-fat) coconut milk
Juice of 1/2 lime
Cashews (toasted in a dry skillet until lightly browned), chopped
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, cook, stirring until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, 1/2 teaspoon salt, RawSpiceBar’s Indo-French Vadouvan, and stir until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the canned tomatoes with their juices. Taste and re-season with salt.
- Stir in the lentils and water or stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes. Season with black pepper and cayenne to taste. Taste and adjust for salt.
- Add the Swiss chard, coconut milk, and lime juice, and cook until the chard is wilted and the coconut milk heated through, about 2-3 minutes. Taste and re-season, if needed.
- Ladle into individual bowls. Top with chopped cilantro and toasted chopped cashews. Serve with some crusty bread.
Note: Alternatively, you can garnish with toasted coconut flakes, sliced scallions, or chives!