Save yourself the effort and use frozen phyllo pastry for this easy, savory Greek spinach and feta pie. Once you’ve mastered the technique, you’ll want to try this delicious vegetarian recipe time and time again.
16 oz package of frozen Filo Dough
2 tsp RawSpiceBar's Greek Seasoning
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated (optional)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
16 oz fresh spinach
1 garlic clove, minced
4 oz crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/4 stick butter, melted
Kosher salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and salt and cook until translucent. Add spinach and cook until heated through. Remove and set aside.
3. In a bowl combine spinach mixture, garlic, cottage cheese, feta, Greek Seasoning, nutmeg and salt.
4. To assemble, lay two filo sheets vertically on a baking sheet. Brush with melted butter. Take two more filo sheets and turn them so that they are at the 11:00 and 5:00 positions. Continue to arrange filo sheets in a clockwork fashion. Butter the tops of each new pair of filo dough as you go. When all sheets have been used, place spinach mixture in the center and spread out into a circle. Carefully fold phyllo over the edge of the spinach mixture allowing a majority of the center to be visible. Butter the edges.
5. Bake for 25-30 or until edges are golden and center is set.