Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
5 tsp RawSpiceBar Sazón Blend, divided
2 limes, divided
2 15-ounce cans red beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 sweet ripe plantains, sliced into 1-inch pieces on the diagonal
2 tablespoons coconut or neutral oil
1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 medium avocado, diced
½ small red onion, diced
½ green bell pepper, diced
½ cup cilantro, chopped
¼ cup crumbled queso fresco
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium pot, combine the rice with 2 teaspoons Sazón Blend, ½ teaspoon salt, and 4 cups of water. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, until rice is tender and the water is absorbed. Remove the lid, add the juice of half a lime, and fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, combine the beans with 2 teaspoons Sazón Blend and diced tomatoes over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, then cover and keep warm over low heat, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, toss the plantains with the oil and ½ teaspoon salt. Spread into an even layer and roast for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown, flipping halfway through.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the avocado, onion, bell pepper, cilantro, juice of 1 lime, remaining 1 teaspoon Sazón Blend, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- To serve, divide the rice between 4 bowls. Top with beans, plantains, and salsa. Sprinkle with queso fresco. Slice the remaining lime half into wedges and serve on the side.