This delicate saffron cake combines saffron threads, pomegranates and the light, cloudlike sponge cake for a deliciously light, beautiful dessert.
20 threads RawSpiceBar’s Saffron Threads
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp hot water
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. low-fat milk
1/2 c. olive oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp sesame seeds
Fresh whipped cream, for garnish
Fresh pomegranates, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Butter and flour a 9" round cake pan.
2. Grind RawSpiceBar’s Saffron Threads and ½ tbsp sugar together until it forms a powder. Add 1 tbsp hot water and let sit 5 minutes.
3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
In a separate large bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Add the eggs and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the milk, oil, vanilla extract, and saffron liquid.
4. Use a wooden spoon to stir the dry ingredients into the wet ones, half at a time. Be careful not to over-mix.
5. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake about 25 minutes. Top with sesame seeds and let cook another 10-15 minutes until golden or a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean or with just a couple crumbs.
6. Let cool on a wire rack then top with fresh whipped cream and fresh pomegranates. Serve & enjoy!