Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds beef flank steak or brisket, cut crosswise into 3- to 4-inch pieces
1 small yellow onion, sliced thinly
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly
1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
2 garlic cloves, minced
1½ tablespoons RawSpiceBar Sazón Blend
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for beef
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for beef
1 cup low-sodium beef broth
1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 medium carrot, halved
1 celery stalk, halved
½ cup pitted green olives with pimentos, drained
Fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
Cooked white rice for serving
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Pat the beef dry and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In an oven-safe pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high. Once hot, add the beef and sear on all sides, working in batches to avoid crowding the pan. Transfer the beef to a plate.
- Add the onions and peppers to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic, Sazón Blend, tomato paste, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring constantly, until the tomato paste is slightly darkened, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broth and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Return the beef and any accumulated juices to the pot. Add the carrot and celery. Bring to a simmer, cover tightly, and place in the oven for about 1½ to 2 hours, or until the beef is fork-tender and shreds easily. Discard the celery and carrot.
- Transfer the beef to a bowl and shred with two forks. Return the beef to the pot.
- Stir in the olives, season to taste with salt and pepper, and garnish with parsley to serve.