Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon RawSpiceBar Lebküchen Blend
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups dry red wine
6 sprigs thyme
1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Generously season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. When the oil is hot, sear the short ribs on all sides, working in batches if necessary.
- Transfer seared short ribs to a plate.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the pot and saute until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables. Stir in the Lebküchen Blend and tomato paste. Cook until the tomato paste starts to caramelize, about two minutes.
- Add the wine and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Return the short ribs to the pot, along with any juices. Bring to a high simmer over medium-high heat and reduce the liquid for 20 minutes, or until the wine comes halfway up the sides of the meat. Stir in the thyme and broth.
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and place in the oven for 2-3 hours, or until the ribs are fall-apart tender.
- Transfer the short ribs to a platter. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper. If you like, cool the sauce and remove fat from the surface before serving.