Greek Vegetarian Lasagna
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1:05
3 medium globe eggplants, sliced into ¼-inch thick planks
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 ounces tempeh
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon RawSpiceBar Greek Blend, divided
1 28-ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
¼ cup dry red wine
1 teaspoon salt, divided
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
1 16-ounce container whole milk ricotta cheese
1 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 2 large baking sheets and 1 9x13-inch baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets and spray with cooking spray. Roast until just tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble in the tempeh, then add the onion and garlic; cook for 5-7 minutes, until the onions are softened and the tempeh is brown in spots. Add half of the RawSpiceBar Greek Blend and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ricotta, egg, remaining ½ tablespoon Greek Blend, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Spread about 1 cup tomato sauce in the prepared baking dish. Arrange a layer of the eggplant slices on top. Dollop about ⅓ of the ricotta mixture on top of the eggplant and smooth with a spoon or spatula. Sprinkle with ⅓ cup feta. Add another layer of eggplant slices perpendicular to the first layer. Top with 1 cup tomato sauce, ⅓ of the ricotta mixture and ⅓ cup feta. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 1 more layer, finishing with feta.
- Bake the lasagna, uncovered, until the sauce is bubbling around the edges, 30 to 40 minutes. Let stand for 10 to 20 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley.
More from: greece greek blend greek-seasoning vegetables Vegetarian
Leave a comment