When you think of pepper, you probably think of what’s in the three-hole shaker on your kitchen table. Though black pepper is the single most popular spice in the world, it has a large family of peppercorns that range from mild and floral to tingly and hot. If you are ready to pump up your pepper game, then you’re in the right place.
A Peppercorn for Your Thoughts
The beauty of peppercorns is that they offer unique flavors, heat levels, and mouthwatering aromas that take any meal to the next level. If you are just pursuing your peppercorn journey, here are the top six peppercorns for your pantry:
- Black Peppercorns: In need of a complex, citrusy aroma to your meal? Then tellicherry peppercorns, or black peppercorns are the way to go.
- Cubeb Peppercorns: Offering a floral flavor with zero heat and a lovely camphor finish, cubeb peppercorns are perfect for those who want to experiment outside of the box with meals.
- Sansho Peppercorns: Though sansho peppercorns create a numbing effect on the tongue, they offer distinct citrus and floral notes that develop beautifully when paired with proteins, veggies, or marinades.
- Szechuan Peppercorns: Enjoy a tingly heat and citrus flavor with Sichuan peppercorns to give your burgers, lamb, noodle salads, or tofu the perfect kick of spice.
- Pink Peppercorns: With a peppery bite and sweet, fruity flavor, pink peppercorns can give ice cream, melons, chocolate, scallops, or salmon an unforgettably delicious upgrade.
- Kampot Peppercorns: Last but not least, Kampot peppers offer a strong yet delicate aroma, seasoning your favorite meals with varying spice levels that reveal floral and citrus hints with each bite.
By placing these peppercorns in your pantry, you can create a variety of deeply flavorful food that will leave guests asking for your recipes.