Easy, healthy yellow dal, spiced with RawSpiceBar's curry powder. Ready in under 15 minutes in an instant pot.
1 cup split chickpeas (chana dal)
1 tbsp RawSpiceBar's curry powder
1 bay leaf, preferably Indian
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 whole cloves
4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
Stove Top Directions
- In large skillet, add oil, garlic, salt and spices and saute, 4-5 minutes. Add dal and saute, another 4-5 minutes.
- Add bay leaves and 4 cups water iand bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn to low, cover and cook, 40 minutes.
- Add 1 cup additional water if needed and continue cooking, covered, until the dal is tender, about 20 minutes; turn off the heat.
- Remove bay leaf and puree to desired consistency. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Instant Pot Directions
- Put the instant pot on saute and add oil. Once hot, add onion and saute, 4-5 minutes. Add spices, garlic, ginger, tomato paste and salt until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes and let brown, another 4-5 minutes. Add the dal, milk and broth and stir to combine.
- Change the instant pot setting to manual or pressure cook mode at high pressure for for 5 mins. After the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then release the pressure. Stir in lime juice and season to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro and yogurt. Serve and enjoy!