Vegan Wellington Roast
By Alice Pagès
This plant based version of the traditional Wellington roast is the perfect sharing dish for any occasion. Serve it with roasted veggies, potatoes and mushroom gravy for a delicious and elegant festive diner.
How Our Recipe Kits Work
We provide spices:
- Beef Stew Seasoning - Salt Free, Flour Free
Your shopping list:
- white onion, diced
- garlic cloves, minced
- tbsp oil
- 1 1/2
- cups button mushrooms
- tbsp tamari sauce
- tbsp maple syrup
- cup cooked brown rice
- cup cooked lentils
- cup all purpose flour
- tsp RawSpiceBar's Beef Stew Seasoning
- cup walnuts
- puff pastry
- tbsp Dijon mustard
- tbsp milk
- tsp maple syrup
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- 2. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute onion, 4-5 minutes. Add beef stew seasoning, garlic and salt to taste and saute, 2-3 minutes.
- 3. Add mushrooms and saute, 5-6 minutes. Deglaze with tamari sauce and maple syrup, 1-2 minutes.
- 4.In a food processer, add cooked mushrooms, rice, lentils and flour. Pulse until a thick, compact and grainy dough forms, scrapping the sides using a spatula when necessary. Be careful not to over-mix, we want to keep texture in the dough.
- 5. Transfer the mixture in a large bowl and add in the walnuts roughy crushed and mix to combine.
- 6. Assembly: lay the puff dough on a piece of baking paper. Form a compact rectangular mound with the filling and place it on the left side of the puff dough sheet, leaving at least 2 inches of empty dough. Generously baste the filling mound with mustard. Wrap the dough around the filling mound, pressing to remove all the air. Seal the ends by gently pressing the dough. Place the roast on the baking tray.
- 7. If desire, you can decorate the roast with some leftover dough stripes or by drawing patterns using the tip of a knife.
- 8. Prepare the glaze by mixing the milk and maple syrup in a small bowl. Brush the roast with the mixture using a pastry brush.
- 9. Bake for about 35 - 40 minutes until the roast is beautifully golden. Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool down for 10 minutes before to cut.