2 tbsp RawSpiceBar’s Indo-French Vadouvan
4 tbsp olive oil
2 large onions, roughly chopped
6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
11 cups chicken broth, vegetable broth, or water
3 cups green split peas, picked over and rinsed
6 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup milk
Fine-grain sea salt, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in chopped onions, chopped garlic, and 1 tbsp of RawSpiceBar’s Indo-French Vadouvan and stir until the onions soften and the garlic is fragrant, a couple of minutes.
- Add the split peas and broth (or water), and bring to a simmer. Cook at a simmer, covered, until the split peas are tender. This can take 40 to 60 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until it browns. As soon as you can smell the butter browning, add the other tbsp of RawSpiceBar’s Indo-French Vadouvan and stir. Turn off the heat immediately and let the butter mixture mingle.
- When the split peas are finished cooking, remove from heat and stir in the milk and salt to taste. Then, purée the soup, either with an immersion blender, or Vitamix, for a super silky result.
- Once the soup is puréed, stir in half the spiced butter. Taste and add more salt, if needed.
- To serve the soup, ladle into individual bowls and drizzle with the remaining spiced butter.