Tacos Al Pastor
Recipe inspired by Rick Bayless
Tacos al pastor is marinated pork - also known as cochinita pibil - that is slow grilled on a spit - but this work around version using an instant pot or stove top, with loads of freshly ground chiles, spices and fresh pineapple does the trick.
2 lbs boneless pork shoulder
3 tbsp RawSpiceBar's achiote powder
2 onions, diced and separated
1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple
1/2 cup white vinegar
5 cloves garlic
Kosher salt, to taste
2 chipotle chiles, packed in adobo sauce
1 tsp RawSpiceBar's Mexican oregano (optional)
1. Add achiote spices, adobo chiles, salt, one onion, vinegar, lemon juice, pineapple, garlic and Mexican oregano in blender. Blend until pureed.
2. Trim fat from pork shoulder and slice into 2 inch chunks. Put in a sealable plastic bag and add marinade. Refrigerate 8-24 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 225°F. Shake off excess marinade and place pork chunks on baking pan.
4. Cover in aluminum foil and slow roast at 225°F for 4 hours. Remove the aluminum foil and continue roasting for 1 hour or until completely tender.
Instant Pot Directions
1. Place marinated pork and marinade in Instant Pot. Press Manual and High Pressure setting, then choose 75 minutes.
2. When done, remove from pressure cooker and place pork chunks on baking pan. Roast uncovered for 30 minutes in 225°F oven to crisp.
Serve over rice and beans or in small tortillas topped with chopped onion, cilantro, pineapple, squeeze of lime juice and enjoy!