Sweet Potato Muffins With Chinese Five Spice
1 large sweet potato
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 c. unsweetened almond milk
3/4 c. maple syrup, plus 2 extra tbsp for brushing the muffins
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c. gluten-free flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp RawSpiceBar’s Chinese Five Spice Powder
Kosher salt, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prick the sweet potato a few times with a paring knife or a fork. Bake until soft, about 1 hour. Set the sweet potato aside until it’s completely cooled.
2. Peel the sweet potato, discard the skin, and mash the flesh in a mixing bowl with a fork. Whisk the olive oil, almond milk, maple syrup, and vanilla into the sweet potato. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, Chinese five spice powder, and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
3. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and evenly distribute the batter among the cups.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Brush the tops with the extra maple syrup during the last 5 minutes of baking.
5. Let the muffins cool before serving.