RawSpiceBar’s Vegan Taco Seasoning
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
2 medium size sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 (15 ounces) can of unsweetened corn
1 (28 ounces) can of diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounces) can of red kidney beans
1 1/2 cup vegetable stock or water
1 lime, juice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped – plus more as garnish
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven (or any other heavy bottom pan) in medium heat.
- Stir in the onions and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4-5 minutes. Add in RawSpiceBar’s Vegan Taco Seasoning and stir until fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in cocoa and cook for 2 minutes. Make sure to stir it constantly.
- Stir in the bay leaves, red peppers, sweet potatoes, corn, tomatoes, beans. Let brown, 5-6minutes. Add water, cover and let it come to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice, and chopped cilantro. Taste for seasoning and add if necessary.
- When ready to serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish it with cilantro leaves. Serve hot with lime wedges on the side.