Slow Cooker Lamb Shanks With Persian Spices
6 lamb shanks
4 eggs, beaten
8 garlic cloves, crushed
2 large onions, chopped
3 tbsp honey
6 tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup rosewater
1/4 cup orange juice
4 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Brown lamb shanks:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil over medium-high heat in large Dutch oven. Pat lamb shanks dry of excess liquid with towel.
- Generously salt & pepper shanks. Add to Dutch oven and cook lamb on all sides until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining 3 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, stir until raw aroma disappears, about 2 minutes. Add advieh & stir, about 30 seconds.
- Add honey, rosewater, orange zest, 2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and stir, another 30 seconds.
- Return lamb shanks to Dutch oven, add 1 cup water and cover.
- Transfer Dutch oven to oven and bake for 2 hours. Rotate lamb shanks and re-cover pot. Continue baking until lamb is falling off the bone, about 1 hour more. Remove from oven and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve alongside saffron rice and mast-o-khiar and enjoy!