1 1/2 cups white basmati rice
3 cups water
1 cup full fat yogurt
3 egg yolks
2 tsp salt
RawSpiceBar’s Saffron Threads, plus hot water
Pomegranates, mint, or yogurt, for serving
- Soak rice in 3 cups of water with a large pinch of salt (about 2 tsp). Let the rice soak overnight or a few hours. Strain and wash the rice a few times in cold water. Rinse until the rice water is clear.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Boil three cups of water and add rice. Once partially cooked (about 15-20 minutes), strain the liquid and wash with cold water. Then strain the water again.
- Mix the yogurt and egg yolks together and add to the rice. Add saffron water (made with RawSpiceBar's Saffron Threads and hot water) to the rice and mix carefully.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with butter or cooking spray. Lay down rice.
- Bake in the oven until the rice turns a dark, golden brown, forming a nice a tahdig, about 30-45 minutes.
- When cooked, allow it to settle and then use a large baking sheet to flip the tachin over, allowing it to come out (it should come out in one piece). Serve with pomegranates, mint, or yogurt and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from the Persian Baked Saffron Rice recipe from The Unmanly Chef.