Servings: 10 patties
1 pound eggplant
1 ½ to 2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight
1/2 medium onion (1/4 cup grated)
2 to 3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp RawSpiceBar’s Advieh Persian
1 to 2 tsp ground red pepper flakes, adjust for taste
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 ½ tbsp chopped cilantro
1 ½ tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt, adjust for taste
1 medium egg
Seeds: 2 tbsp quinoa plus 1 tsp each of sesame seeds, black seeds, hemp seeds, and chia seeds
1 tbsp peanut oil
- Preheat oven to 400 ºF
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a small cooking pot. Add chickpeas and let simmer until well cooked. Drain and let cool.
- Wash the eggplant and wipe it dry. Cut it into 3/4-inch slices. Brush the eggplant slices lightly, but evenly, with about 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Place the slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or oiled aluminum foil. Bake until tender for about 20–25 minutes (time may vary depending on the oven). Check at 20 minutes and adjust time accordingly.
- Set aside the baked eggplant slices and let cool to room temperature. Finely chop the eggplant slices. Grind the cooked chickpeas into a nearly-smooth mixture.
- Mix the chopped eggplant, ground chickpeas, grated onions, grated garlic, RawSpiceBar’s Advieh Persian, herbs, and salt.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop out the mixture and form 10 round, thick patties.
- Whisk the eggs. Mix the seeds and spread out on a plate.
- Dip the patties in the whisked egg and coat with seeds on both sides, pressing lightly.
- Heat a 10-inch iron skillet at medium heat. Coat the skillet with 1/2 a tablespoon of peanut oil.
- Place 5 patties in the skillet, dipping one at a time in the oil coating, and flip immediately. Cook 3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Set the oven temperature to 350 ºF. Transfer the patties to a parchment- or foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 5 to 10 minutes until done.
- Repeat the cooking steps with the remaining 5 patties using another 1/2 tablespoon of peanut oil. Serve hot.