3/4-1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk + 1 Tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar
1/3 cup packed pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), melted (or sub grape seed or coconut oil)
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp maple syrup or agave (or sub honey if not vegan)
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp RawSpiceBar’s Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (sub up to half with oat flour if desired)
- Preheat electric griddle to medium heat (or about 350 degrees F), or a large skillet on medium to medium-low heat on the stove stop. You want the surface to be hot but not screaming hot – oil shouldn’t burn when it hits the surface.
- Combine 3/4 cup milk and lemon juice in a large bowl and let rest for 5 minutes to curdle. Then add melted Earth
- Balance, maple syrup, pumpkin, maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Next add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices to a sifter and sift over the wet ingredients. If the batter appears too thin, add a bit more flour. If too thick, add a splash of almond milk. If too thin, add a bit more flour. Let batter rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Butter or spray your griddle with cooking spray and pour 1/4 cup measurements of the batter onto the griddle.
- There should be 6-7 pancakes. Flip when bubbles appear in the middle and the edges turn slightly dry. Cook for 1-3 minutes more on the other side, then plate.
- Top with Earth Balance and maple syrup and a dash more RawSpiceBar’s Pumpkin Pie Spice, or whatever else you desire. Will reheat well the next day in the microwave.