Mexican Black Beans
Healthy, easy one dish Mexican black peans with Mexican oregano and Mexican spices like freshly ground ancho chile powder and roasted ground cumin.
1 lb dried black beans
3 c. chicken stock
3 c. water
2 tbsp RawSpiceBar's Mexican oregano
1/2 lb chopped fresh chorizo sausage
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 tbsp garlic, chopped
1 tbsp RawSpiceBar's ancho chile powder
1 tbsp RawSpiceBar's ground cumin
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
1. Soak black beans overnight in cold water to cover. Drain and rinse.
2. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Place the beans, chicken stock, water, and Mexican oregano in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil on the stove top, skim off foam, then cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
3. In a large, heavy skillet, brown chorizo sausage. Remove the chorizo, leaving the fat in the pan. Add onion, carrots, celery stalks, and garlic to the pan and cook over medium heat until the vegetables soften.
4. Remove the pot of beans from the oven and stir in the vegetables and chorizo, along with ancho chile powder, ground cumin, pepper and salt to taste.
5. Cover and bake for 1 hour, or until the beans are soft.