RawSpiceBar’s Sumac Za’atar
2.5 cups bread flour (white or wheat)
1 tablespoon baking powder
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup warm water
Create & knead the dough:
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 of RawSpiceBar’s Sumac Za’atar.
- Slowly pour in the olive oil, mixing while pouring. Add the warm water and mix again until the dough comes together into a ball.
- Knead dough continuously for 5-10 minutes. Add flour to coat as you go along and continuously fold the dough in half from either side; the dough will be firm and this is normal.
- Once kneaded, allow to rest for 10-15 minutes
Form the flatbreads:
- Transfer the risen dough onto a floured surface. Punch to allow accumulated air to escape.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces, forming each into a ball.
- Using the heels of your hands, flatten the balls from either side. Use your thumb and index finger to fully flatten and stretch the dough into a 6″ diameter.
- Turn the grill or cast iron pan, if you have one, to medium high heat. Brush with oil.
- Add the flatbreads a few at a time, allowing space between each. Leave for 2-3 minutes until golden brown and slightly puffy on either side.
- Sprinkle finished flatbreads with combined 1/2 of RawSpiceBar’s Sumac Za’atar and olive oil. Serve as soon as they are ready- these flatbreads are best right out of the pan!