INGREDIENTS6 large eggs, room temperature, separated
1/2 c. granulated sugar, divided
1/2 tbsp RawSpiceBar's Mahlab Spice
1 c. flour, sifted
2 c. heavy cream
2 tbsp powdered sugar
3 c. fresh peaches, diced
DIRECTIONS1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and line the bottom of three 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a standing mixer with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add 1/4 cup sugar and RawSpiceBar's Mahlab Spice. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Scrape the meringue in another bowl. Set aside.
3. Sift flour and the remaining 1/4 cup sugar over top of egg yolk mixture. Fold the flour mixture in the egg mixture, followed by half of the meringue.
4. Fold the rest of the meringue into the batter until just incorporated. Evenly pour the batter into the prepared pans and smooth the tops.
5. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the cakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Run a thin knife around the cake edge and place the cake on a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Whip the heavy cream and powdered sugar until it holds stiff peaks.
8. To assemble, spread 1/3 of the whipped cream on top of one of the cake layers. Then place peaches. Repeat until layered.
9. Chill the cake until ready to serve. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top before serving. Enjoy!
Makes 8-10 servings.