Lamb Korma (Almond Cashew Curry)
This lamb korma recipe features slowly simmered lamb in a deeply flavorful, creamy sauce of Indian spices, almonds, cashews and yogurt. This sauce is nuttier and milder than other curries. Top with cilantro or pomegranate seeds for a bright, citrusy finish and swap in chicken or braised vegetables for lamb. Enjoy!
1/4 cup almonds
1/3 cup whole cashews
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 lbs boneless lamb, cubed
2 tbsp ghee or
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
1 onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch ginger, minced
2 tbsp RawSpiceBar's Madras curry powder
2 tbsp tomato paste
1½ cups chicken stock
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 lemon, juice
1/4 cup greek yogurt
1 bunch cilantro and pomegranate seeds, to top
1. In a blender or food processor, blend almonds, cashews and 1/3 cup water. Set aside.
2. In a dutch oven or large heavy pot, add oil over medium heat. Pat lamb dry and season with salt and pepper. Sear on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Set aside, leaving fat in pan.
3. Add oil to dutch oven over medium-high heat and add onions. Saute, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, salt, ginger, spices and saute, 2-3 minutes.
4. Add tomato paste, nut paste, tomatoes and lamb and let brown, another 5-6 minutes. Add stock, simmer and cover over medium-low heat, 1 1/2 - 2 hours, until lamb is cooked through.
5. Stir in the lemon juice and yogurt. Top with cilantro and pomegranate and serve with rice and naan. Enjoy!