RawSpiceBar's Bird's Eye Berbere
1 lb stew beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tbsp canola oil, separated
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped, canned tomatoes
1/2 tsp sugar
2 cups beef stock (or 2 cups water and a beef bullion)
Salt & pepper, to season beef
1. Heat 1 tbsp canola oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Pat beef dry and season with salt and pepper. Brown beef in batches in the dutch oven, about 3 minutes per side. Removing browned beef to a plate to catch its juices.
2. Without cleaning the dutch oven, add remaining tbsp of canola oil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onions and cook until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
3. Add RawSpiceBar's Bird's Eye Berbere and sugar to onions and garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
4. Add chopped tomatoes to mixture, combine until tomatoes brown, about 3-5 minutes. Add beef stock and beef and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low to simmer.
5. Simmer the beef for at least an hour, up to two. Remove beef from the cooking liquid and shred it by pulling the chunks apart with two forks. Add beef back to the stock mixture and simmer for another 15 minutes.
6. Serve with injera, couscous or butternut squash mash (see RawSpiceBar's monthly blog for recipes).
If you’d like to cook this in your crock pot, follow the instructions until you’ve caramelized the onions. Add all remaining ingredients, caramelized onions, and beef to the crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Before serving, shred the beef by pulling the chunks apart with two forks and return to the crock pot and cook on high for 15 minutes.