RawSpiceBar's Bird's Eye Berbere
1 lb stew beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tbsp canola oil, separated
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup canned, chopped tomatoes
1/2 tsp sugar
2 cups beef stock (or 2 cups water and a beef bullion)
Salt & pepper, to season beef
- Heat 1 tbsp of the canola oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Pat beef dry and season with salt and pepper. Brown beef in batches in the dutch oven, about 3 minutes per side. Remove browned beef to a plate to catch its juices.
- Without cleaning the dutch oven, add the remaining tbsp of canola oil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onions and cook until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add RawSpiceBar's Bird's Eye Berbere and sugar to onions and garlic, and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add chopped tomatoes to mixture, cook until tomatoes brown, about 3-5 minutes. Add beef stock and beef and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low to simmer.
- Simmer the beef for at least an hour, up to two. Remove beef from the cooking liquid and shred it by pulling the chunks apart with two forks. Add beef back to the stock mixture and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with injera, couscous, or butternut squash mash.
Recipe courtesy of usimplyseason.com