Kabuli Pulao Rice, Afghan Style
Kabuli pulao rice is a traditional Afghan dish typically shared among large families or groups, packed with freshly ground advieh spices, glazed raisins, carrots and nuts.
1 tbsp RawSpiceBar's Freshly Ground Advieh Spices
7 cups basmati rice, soaked and drained
2 yellow onions, diced
1/4 cup pistachios
1/4 cup slivered almonds
2 carrots, diced
1/2 cup raisins
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup lamb or chicken stock
1. In a large saucepan, add 1/4 cup sugar over medium heat, shaking pan until the sugar caramelizes.
2. Add 1 cup stock, advieh and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and set aside.
3. Add cooked rice to sugar mixture and stir to coat.
4. In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots and sugar and stir, 4-5 minutes, until caramelized. Add the raisins and cook, another 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Drizzle rice with olive oil and top with carrot mix. Cover rice with tea towel and lid and cook on high, 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook, another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, another 5-10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!