14 oz udon noodles
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, sliced
5 heads cabbage, diced
4 shiitake mushrooms, diced
3 cups vegetable stock or dashi
4 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoon RawSpiceBar's Japanese curry powder
1 tablespoon soy sauce, plus more to taste
Kosher salt, to taste
4 scallions, sliced
- Cook the udon noodles according to the package directions. Usually this means boiling them for 2 – 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon on oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and fry until soft and transparent. Add the cabbage, carrot, shiitake mushrooms, salt and saute, 5-6 minutes. Add vegetable stock, bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile prepare the curry roux. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Add the flour, curry powder and mix well. Stir for about 5 minutes to cook out the flour then add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Continue to cook and stir until the roux sticks together in a ball and starts to crumble apart. Remove from the heat.
- When the vegetables are ready, ladle some of the soup into the pan with the roux and stir well to dissolve the flour. Add it to the pot with the soup and mix well as it thickens. Taste and adjust the seasoning. I added an additional ½ tablespoon of soy sauce.
- Divide the noodles into your bowls, ladle over the curry stew and garnish with chopped green onions.