Japanese Curry Chicken
INGREDIENTS1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, minced
2 tbsp RawSpiceBar’s Japanese Curry Powder
3 c. chicken stock
1 c. carrots, diced
1 apple, diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 sweet potato, diced
1 c. green peas
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
Rice or udon, for serving
DIRECTIONS1. Dry the chicken breasts and salt and pepper liberally.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat until hot and add chicken. Let brown, 5 minutes per side.
3. Turn down the heat to medium and transfer the chicken to a bowl using tongs, making sure to leave as much oil in the pan as possible.
4. Add onion and let cook, 4-5 minutes until translucent. Add ginger, garlic, and RawSpiceBar's Japanese Curry Powder and stir, 2-3 minutes.
5. Return chicken to the pot and then add carrots, apple, tomato paste, and salt to taste. Stir and let brown, 5-6 minutes. Add stock and sweet potato and bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer, 30-40 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
6. In the meantime, make a roux by adding the butter and flour to a small saucepan over medium heat. Use a spatula to stir constantly until the bubbling subsides and the roux is a light brown color.
7. When the potatoes are tender, taste and adjust salt to taste. Finish the curry by stirring in the roux and green peas and bringing to a boil to thicken the sauce.
8. Serve with hot rice, or on top of a bowl of udon.
Makes 2-4 servings.