1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 tbsp RawSpiceBar’s Japanese Curry
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup carrots, diced
1 apple, diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
Salt, to taste
1 sweet potato, diced
1 cup green peas
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
- Dry chicken and salt and pepper liberally.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat until hot and add chicken. Let brown, 5 minutes per side.
- Turn down the heat to mediumand transfer the chicken to a bowl using tongs, making sure to leave as much oil in the pan as possible.
- Add onion and let cook, 4-5 minutes until translucent. Add ginger, garlic and RawSpiceBar's Japanese Curry Powder and stir, 2-3 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pot and then add carrots, apple, tomato paste and salt to taste. Stir and let brown, 5-6 minutes. Add stock and potatoes and bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer, 30-40 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- In the meantime, make the roux by adding the butter and flour to a small saucepan over medium heat. Use a spatula to stir constantly until the bubbling subsides and the roux is a light brown color.
- When the potatoes are tender, taste and adjust salt to taste. Finish the curry by stirring in the roux and green peas and bringing to a boil to thicken the sauce.
- Serve with hot rice, or on top of a bowl of udon.