This old fashioned American-Hungarian goulash is made with big chunks of beef, carrots, and potatoes, plus onions, garlic, peppers, and plenty of our hot Hungarian paprika for a hearty stew.
4 cups low sodium chicken stock
4 tbsp RawSpiceBar's Hungarian Hot Paprika
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds whole boneless beef chuck roast, cubed
Kosher salt, to taste
4 carrots, chunks
2 stalks celery
1 yellow onion, sliced
2 red bell peppers, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Fresh parsley, for serving (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Pat beef dry, season beef all over with salt and pepper and add to Dutch oven. Cook, until well browned on all sides, 8-10 minutes.
2. Add diced carrots to Dutch oven and cook, stirring, until well browned on all sides, about 4 minutes, then set aside. Add carrots, celery stalks, onion, peppers, and garlic and saute, 6-8 minutes.
3. Add Hungarian paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken stock and soy sauce.
4. Add beef and simmer over medium heat. Transfer to oven, cover with lid partially open, and cook until beef is starting to become tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
5. Add potatoes and carrots to stew, return to oven, and continue to cook, partially covered, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
6. Remove stew from oven. Season to taste and serve!