Garam Masala Chicken Tikka
2 c. thick yogurt
1 tbsp RawSpiceBar’s Tandoori Masala
1 tbsp RawSpiceBar’s Garam Masala
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken
6 garlic cloves
1 inch piece of ginger
24 oz canned whole tomatoes, drained with juice reserved
2 tbsp vegetable of canola oil
Salt & pepper
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Cilantro, for garnish
Rice or naan, for serving
For the chicken tikka marinade1. Whisk the yogurt in a large bowl.
2. Chop or crush 3-4 garlic cloves and 1/2 inch ginger in a mortar pestle, food processor or with the back of your knife. Add half of this ginger garlic paste to the yogurt.
3. Add in RawSpiceBar’s Tandoori Masala and blend all ingredients.
4. Cut and cube chicken, about 1 inch thick. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste. Add all cubed chicken to the yogurt mixture and coat well. Refrigerate and allow to marinate for at least one hour and up to 5 hours.
5. When the chicken is ready to be cooked, fire up the grill, grill pan, or broiler to high heat. Thread the chicken cubes on bamboo or metal skewers and add to very high heat, about 10 minutes until the garam masala chicken starts to brown and char. Leave the chicken slightly undercooked in the center, as the chicken will simmer in the sauce under low heat for another 15 minutes and will cook through.
For the masala sauce1. Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat until hot. Add 1 chopped onion and allow to brown until golden, about 10 minutes.
2. Add in chopped tomatoes (without the juice).
3. Add the remaining garlic ginger paste until the raw aroma is gone, about 2 minutes.
4. Add RawSpiceBar’s Garam Masala and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
5. Add in remaining tomato juice and reduce heat to medium low. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes until tomatoes cook down.
6. Add charred chicken to the sauce and bring to medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add a splash of lemon juice and cilantro to finish. Serve alongside rice or naan.
Makes 4 servings.