A delicious five spice roast duck recipe with a mixture of Chinese five spices powder and coconut oil to shove under the skin and keep the duck super moist! FIVE SPICE ROAST DUCK
We’ve sourced and freshly ground the spices to make our authentic Five Spice Roast Duck. Simply follow our recipe, adding locally sourced, fresh ingredients, to cook this delicious Five Spice Roast Duck .How Our Recipes Kits Work We provide spices: Your shopping list:
- 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken at room temperature
- cup coconut oil
- teaspoon RawSpiceBar's Chinese five spice powder
- teaspoon sea salt
- Canola oil
- cup gluten-free tamari
- tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2-inch piece of ginger thinly sliced
- garlic cloves crushed
- tablespoon raw honey
- Kimchi-style spicy pickles for serving
- Boston or butter lettuce cups for serving
- Sliced scallions for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Rinse the chicken and trim any excess fat flaps. Pat the bird dry with paper towels and sit, breast-side up on a rack inside a baking sheet. If you don’t have a rack, wind a long piece of tin foil into a circle and seat the chicken on top of it.
- 3. In a small mixing bowl, stir together the coconut oil, Chinese five spice and salt. Gently separate the skin from the chicken and rub the coconut oil mixture underneath. If the bird is very cold, the oil might seize up – don’t worry about it.
- 4. Lightly brush the outside of the bird with canola oil. Roast the chicken in the oven until the juices run clear, 60 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and rest the chicken until cool enough to touch.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the tamari, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and honey. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10 minutes.
- 6. Brush the chicken with the sauce and carve, thinly slicing the breast on an angle. Arrange the chicken on a platter and serve alongside the remaining glaze, kimchi pickles, butter lettuce, and scallions.