Five Spice Pork Belly Char Siu (Chinese Barbecue Pork)
INGREDIENTS2 tbsp RawSpiceBar's Szechuan Five Spice
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp canola oil
1 lb pork belly
Steamed buns or rice, to serve
DIRECTIONS1. Place all ingredients – including RawSpiceBar’s Five Spice – except the pork in a small saucepan and bring to simmer for 30 seconds. Set aside to cool.
2. Place pork and marinade in a resealable bag. Remove as much air as possible, then massage it so the marinade is all over the pork. Place in the fridge and marinate for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight (up to 48 hours).
3. Take the pork out of the fridge and bring it to room temperature.
4. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking tray with foil or baking/parchment paper. Remove pork from the marinade. Save remaining marinade for basting.
5. Roast the pork for 25 minutes or until the internal temperature is 145–160ºF. Every 10 minutes, baste generously with reserved marinade.
6. After 25 minutes, switch the oven to the broiler and broil until charred and caramelized, 4 to 6 minutes. For extra glaze, add a dollop of honey to the remaining marinade. Do this towards the end of the cooking time while broiling, otherwise it will burn.
7. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve in steamed buns or rice and enjoy!
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe adapted from Chinese Barbecue Pork recipe from RecipeTinEats.