2 tbsp RawSpiceBar's Szechuan Five Spice
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp canola oil
1 lb pork belly
- Place all ingredients–including RawSpiceBar’s Five Spice–except the pork in a small saucepan and bring to simmer for 30 seconds. Set aside to cool.
- Place pork and marinade in a resealable bag. Remove as much air as possible, then massage it so the marinade is all over the pork. Place in the fridge and marinate for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight (up to 48 hours).
- Take the pork out of the fridge and bring it to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking tray with foil or baking/parchment paper. Remove pork from the marinade. Save marinade for basting.
- Roast the pork for 25 minutes or until the internal temperature is 145–160ºF. Every 10 minutes, baste generously with reserved marinade.
- After 25 minutes, switch the oven to the broiler and broil until charred and caramelized, 4 to 6 minutes. For extra glaze, add a dollop of honey to the remaining marinade. Do this towards the end of the cooking time while broiling, otherwise it will burn.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve in steamed buns or rice and enjoy!