Fesenjan originated in Northern Iran and features freshly ground Persian advieh spices, pomegranate and walnut as the two key ingredients. The end result is a sweet, sour, and savory flavor mix of fall off the bone chicken. This dish has also historically featured duck, given its gamey flavor.
2 yellow onions, sliced
1 tbsp RawSpiceBar's Advieh
2 lbs skinless chicken drumsticks or thighs
2 cups walnuts, halved
1/4 cup water
1 cup pomegranate molasses
Kosher salt, to taste
Pomegranate seeds, to garnish (optional)
1. Add walnuts to a food processor to create a paste. Add 1/4 cold water while running.
2. In a skillet, add oil over medium high heat. Add onions, advieh and salt and saute, 4-5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. Pat chicken dry and season liberally with salt. Heat oil in skillet. Once hot, add chicken and brown, 4-5 minutes each side.
4. Add onions back and spoon walnut paste over with pomegranate molasses over low heat. Cover and simmer, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is fork tender and falls off the bone, stirring occasionally.
5. Transfer to a serving dish and top with pomegranate seeds. Serve over rice and enjoy!