FESENJAN (PERSIAN POMEGRANATE CHICKEN STEW)
Fesenjan originated in Northern Iran and features freshly ground Persian advieh spices, pomegranate and walnut as the two key ingredients. The end result is a sweet, sour, and savory flavor mix of fall off the bone chicken. This dish has also historically featured duck, given its gamey flavor.
How Our Recipes Kits Work
We provide spices:
- Advieh - For Persian Stews - Salt Free
Your shopping list:
- yellow onions, sliced
- tsp RawSpiceBar's Advieh
- lbs skinless chicken drumsticks or thighs
- cups walnuts, halved
- cup water
- cup pomegranate molasses
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Pomegranate seeds, to garnish (optional)
- Vegetable oil
1. Add walnuts to a food processor to create a paste. Add 1/4 cold water while running.
2. In a skillet, add oil over medium high heat. Add onions, advieh and salt and saute, 4-5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- 3. Pat chicken dry and season liberally with salt. Heat oil in skillet. Once hot, add chicken and brown, 4-5 minutes each side.
- 4. Add onions back and spoon walnut paste over with pomegranate molasses over low heat. Cover and simmer, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is fork tender and falls off the bone, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Transfer to a serving dish and top with pomegranate seeds. Serve over rice and enjoy!