Photo and recipe credit to The Persian Mama
FESENJAN (PERSIAN POMEGRANATE CHICKEN STEW)
Fesenjan originated in Northern Iran and features freshly ground Persian advieh spices, pomegranate and walnut as the two key ingredients. The end result is a sweet, sour, and savory flavor mix of fall off the bone chicken. This dish has also historically featured duck, given its gamey flavor.
How Our Recipes Kits Work We provide spices: Your shopping list:
- yellow onions, sliced
- tsp RawSpiceBar's Advieh
- lbs skinless chicken drumsticks or thighs
- cups walnuts, halved
- cup water
- cup pomegranate molasses
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Pomegranate seeds, to garnish (optional)
- Vegetable oil
1. Add walnuts to a food processor to create a paste. Add 1/4 cold water while running.
2. In a skillet, add oil over medium high heat. Add onions, advieh and salt and saute, 4-5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- 3. Pat chicken dry and season liberally with salt. Heat oil in skillet. Once hot, add chicken and brown, 4-5 minutes each side.
- 4. Add onions back and spoon walnut paste over with pomegranate molasses over low heat. Cover and simmer, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is fork tender and falls off the bone, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Transfer to a serving dish and top with pomegranate seeds. Serve over rice and enjoy!