Dal Saag - Lentil Spinach Indian Curry
This spinach lentil curry packs the nutrition of lentils and spinach in a single bowl and, in an instant pot, is ready in under 20 minutes.
1 1/2 cups green lentils
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
1 inch ginger, minced
1 tbsp RawSpiceBar's garam masala
1 lime, juice
2 cups canned whole tomatoes
1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
8 ounces (or 8 cups) fresh spinach
1/2 cup almond or coconut milk, unsweetened
Instant Pot Directions
1. Set instant pot in SAUTE mode and add oil. Add onions and saute, 3-4 minutes. Add salt, jalapeno, garam masala, ginger and garlic and saute, another 2-3 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and saute, 3-4 minutes.
2. Add lentils and water. Stir well. Press cancel and close the instant pot lid with vent in sealing position.
3. Press Manual or Pressure Cook mode for 3 minutes. When the instant pot beeps, do a quick pressure release.
4. Open the lid and add chopped spinach and garam masala. Press saute mode. Simmer for 2 minutes and serve.
Stovetop Pressure Cooker Directions
1. Heat oil in the pressure cooker on medium-high flame. Add onions and saute, 3-4 minutes. Add salt, jalapeno, garam masala, ginger and garlic and saute, another 2-3 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and saute, 3-4 minutes.
2. Add the lentils and water. Stir well. Cover the lid, turn the heat on high flame and pressure cook it until your hear two whistles. Turn off heat and let the pressure release naturally.
3. Open the lid and add chopped spinach. Turn stove on and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir, serve and enjoy!