Chicken Pasanda (Chicken Almond Curry)
This chicken pasanda recipe is a traditional north Indian dish, flavored with toasted almonds, Indian spices, garlic, onion, cinnamon sticks and green cardamom. Swap in ground almonds for slivered if you'd like.
4-5 tbsp vegetable oil or ghee
1 onion, minced
2 cinnamon sticks
6 green cardamom pods, crushed
2 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp chili powder
1/4 cup greek yogurt
1 tbsp tomato puree
4 skinless chicken breasts
4 tbsp sliced almonds
1 bunch cilantro
2 cups water
1. In a large skillet, heat oil or ghee over medium high heat. Add onion and saute, 5-7 minutes. Move to medium-low heat and add cinnamon and cardamom, cooking for 4-6 minutes.
2. Add salt, turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, ginger and garlic and saute, 4-6 minutes.
3. Add 1 tbsp yogurt and cook, 2-3 minutes. Add 1 tbsp yogurt in batches until incorporated. Add tomato puree, then water. Bring to boil, stirring 5-10 minutes.
4. In a small pan, add almonds over medium-low heat and cook until golden. Remove from pan and add dash of water to make a paste.
5. In a separate pan, add chicken over medium heat until sealed. Add almond paste and spice onion mix and simmer, 25-30 minutes, until chicken is cooked. Add water as needed if sauce is too dry. Remove whole spices. Serve with cilantro, yogurt and rice and enjoy!