This chicken biryani recipe, rice and chicken marinated in yogurt and Indian spices, is the ultimate one pot comfort food for winter nights. We love how this makes the whole kitchen smell. Enjoy!
1 tbsp RawSpiceBar's Garam Masala
2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
1 lb chicken, diced, bone in or boneless
2 onions, diced
Pinch saffron threads, soaked in 1/4 cup warm milk
1/4 cup cashews
1/4 cup raisins
3 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
Bunch fresh mint or coriander leaves, minced
2 cups yogurt
2 fresh green or red chiles, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, minced
2 tbsp RawSpiceBar's Tandoori Masala
1/2 lemon, juice
Kosher salt, to taste
1. In a plastic bag, combine marinade ingredients and add chicken. Refrigerate and let marinate, 2 hours or overnight.
2. Cook basmati rice as per directions.
3. In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add salt and onions and saute until translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add cashews and raisins until golden. Remove and set aside.
4. In same pot, add oil over medium-high heat and add chicken to brown on all sides, 5-7 minutes. Add cooked rice, onions, herbs, saffron milk, fried nuts, raisins and salt to taste.
5. Cover pot and cook on low heat, 30-45 minutes. Serve and enjoy!