Bobotie, Cape Malay Style
Considered South Africa's national dish, bobotie is packed with spices like Madras curry powder, cloves and turmeric with a milk and egg topping- all in a one pot dish. Serve with a side of rice and enjoy this Cape Malay dish!
1 1/2 lb ground beef
2 onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp cloves, ground
1 tbsp Madras curry powder
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 slices white bread, crumbled
1/3 cup milk
1 lemon, zest and rind
Kosher salt & pepper, to taste
1/3 cup apricots
1 apple, diced
1/4 cup almonds, slivered and roasted
4 bay leaves
1 cup milk
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a large casserole dish.
2. In a large saucepan, add oil and add onion, cook 7-8 minutes until golden. Add garlic, curry powder, turmeric and cook until fragrant, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. In same pan, add meat and cook until brown.
3. In bowl, combine breadcrumbs, milk, lemon zest and juice, egg, salt, pepper, apricots, apple and almonds. Add meat to combine. Layer into casserole dish, layering in bay leaves.
4. Seal with foil and bake, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
5. Increase the oven temperature to 400°F. Make topping by combining milk, beaten eggs and salt. Add to top and bake another 15-20 minutes, uncovered, until brown. Serve with rice and enjoy!