4 cloves garlic
2 tbsp vegetable oil
RawSpiceBar’s Achiote Recado Rojo
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon white tequila, optional
3 lemons, juiced
2 habanero peppers, deseeded
Kosher salt, to taste
For quesadillas1 large butternut squash, peeled seeded, cut into 1/2″ thick chunks
1 bunch kale
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
Tortillas, cilantro, crema, onions, salsa, to serve
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat until hot. Add RawSpiceBar’s Achiote Recado Rojo, habaneros and garlic and cook, tossing and stirring, until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a blender along with garlic, lemon juice, orange juice, vinegar, oil, tequila and a big pinch of salt. Blend until smooth. Season to taste.
- Rub paste to cover all sides of diced squash.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add squash and cook, 8-12 minutes, until squash is deep golden brown and tender (but not falling apart.) Set aside.
- In the same skillet, add oil over medium-high heat and add in the kale, let cook 3-4 minutes. Add cooked squash and toss. Set aside.
- Build quesadillas with bean and squash mixture and cheese and sear in pan or grill to char, about 1 minute on each side until cheese is melted. Serve with toppings of choice & enjoy!